I was reading Eli's post about Huck and Boy Scouts and I agree with him that Huck would have to work on the scout law. I would like to go further with this thought.
I have come to learn from my Scout Master, Mr. Mason, that boy scouts is not only to learn about the law, oath, and how to survive, but to learn to become Godly men and leaders.
How does the scout law and oath help us to be godly men? The scout law asks us to be reverent both in our own faith and to be respectful of others' faith. In the oath it says to do my duty to God which is to obey him in everything.
How does scouting help us to be leaders? The scout law says a scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, and brave. You couldn't be a leader without being these things. The oath says to do my duty to country, to help other people at all times, and to keep yourself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. If you don't do these things nobody's going to follow you.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
What is Boy Scouts all about?
Posted by 4diversecity at 12:49 PM
Labels: crosspost, huck finn, literature, twain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment